Click here to make a contribution
Friends of Scouting
Friends of Scouting is an annual direct-solicitation campaign, reaching out to Scout families, service organizations and businesses. Friends of Scouting is the council's largest source of income (23 percent). Additionally, the United Way recognizes the value of Scouting and provides 16 percent of the council's annual budget. Eighty-one percent of funds raised are dedicated to program, over 15% more than the not-for-profit standard set forth by the Better Business Bureau.
It costs $148 to provide one year of quality program for each Scout.
What does a Friends of Scouting investment provide?
- Local programs and activities throughout the council territory
- Camp scholarships, uniforms and registration fees for youths who otherwise could not participate
- Four Scout service centers that coordinate Scouting activities and provide customer service to members
- Accident and liability insurance to protect both youth and adult members
- Professional staff who counsel, guide, and inspire volunteer leadership
- Camps and facilities available for year-round camping and Cub Scout family outdoor events
- Opportunities to attend summer camp and high-adventure events
- Advancement programs where Scouts are recognized for learning and achievement of goals they set establish
- Distribution and development of literature and training-materials
- A hiking-trail system on and off the council's property
- Leadership training for young people who will become future community leaders